Friday 30 September 2016

Bye, Bye Boutiques

This is a piece that I wrote early on but didn't get round to posting. As I think about what I'm going to do for the last three months of the year I came across it and decided to post it. 

As part of my overall strategy of balancing the three demands of Time, Money and Space I decided to look at whether to clear out any of the "boutique" games that I'd purchased in the last couple of years. As it was I hadn't been too indulgent and I only had the Batman Miniatures Game and Carnevale to look at. 

Having collected a few Batman comics when that was one of my things back in the 80s, I always had a soft spot for the Caped Crusader. When the game came out it coincided with Gotham starting on the TV so I was enthused to order a copy of the rules with the Alfred figure. Both the book and figure were top quality. I then starting to properly think about what was needed to play a game ie. a number of very expensive figures which would need very careful (read time consuming)  painting . Would it keep my interest long enough to warrant the outlay in money and time?

My other impulse boutique purchase was Carnevale, which came on the back of reading the excellent "The Bellini Card" by Jason Goodwin, one of his Yashim the Ottoman Detective novels . This book is set in Venice and reignited an interest I've had with the city since visiting it. I'd been aware of the Carnevale game for awhile and decided to take the plunge. An order for the rulebook and a starter set of figures was placed and duly came. Once again lovely book and figures. But after the initial excitement reality struck. Long term was the outlay worth the return? 

After much thought and being ruthlessly honest with myself I decided that the time needed to paint up opposing factions and make appropriate terrain for what may be only a couple of sessions of gaming, coupled with some significant monetary outlay on assembling the forces meant that neither game was viable. 

A quick post on The Lead Adventure forum and within days both Batman and Carnevale had found new homes and I'd recouped a fair amount. And I think that's me done with the boutiques. As a postscript to this I've since found out that the makers of Carnevale have gone belly up so I'm very pleased that I didn't invest any more in this. I have boxes of Celtos figures and the AE:WW2 rules gathering dust to show what happens when the boutique bubble bursts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment